This delicious, creamy vegan butternut squash risotto is one of my favourites. It’s super tasty and perfect on it’s own or with some yummy vegan garlic bread.
I admit that I am not the world’s best at cooking, but I am getting there. Risotto was always one of those dishes that I absolutely loved but never dared to try as I heard all the time how hard it was to get right. Well, think again! This one is super easy to make and can be ready to eat in under a hour (including prep time).
It’s smells amazing, looks so good and tastes even better. Even my non vegan hubby gave it the thumbs up!
What you need:
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 cup of risotto rice (arborio)
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 1/8 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sage (or more if you like)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
How to make yummy vegan butternut squash risotto:
- Peel your butternut squash, remove the seeds and chop it into small chunks. You can pop it in the microwave for a minute or two first to soften the skin.
- Heat your oil in a pot with a pinch of salt over a medium-high heat
- Add your butternut squash to the pot and stir regularly until it has softened (about 6 – 8 minutes)
- Reduce to a medium heat, add in your rice and stir for about 1 minute
- Pour in your wine and continue to stir until most of the wine is absorbed (feel free to drink the rest of the bottle while cooking)
- Pour in your stock 1/2 a cup at a time, making sure the stock is almost fully absorbed each time before adding the next 1/2 cup.
- Once your stock is nearly all absorbed and your risotto looks nice and creamy, add in your nutritional yeast and sage and give it a good stir to mix it all in.
- Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve straight from the pot and enjoy!
Your risotto should be thick and creamy, but not dry and your rice should soft, but not soggy or mushy.
I have adapted this recipe slightly from one I found on Holy Cow Vegan’s Website. It’s a great site with some amazing vegan recipes. Check it out if you get a chance.
Have you tried this recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know
Share the post "Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Risotto Recipe"